Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day



It has been amazing to watch Aaron grow as a father.
When we found out we were pregnant with Elizabeth I'm sure he wanted to hit the hills. At that time we were so young and barely prepared. But he didn't. He declared that he would always be there for me, no matter what happened. (and he has!) If you look at pictures of Aaron holding Ellie when she was first born and in the next few weeks after, you can see by the way he holds her how nervous he was.
After a few months he became pro. I was going to the U of U and Aaron was home with Ellie during the time I was at school. We had given up our U of U apartment and were living with my Mom. She would call me and say, " You won't believe what Aaron has Ellie dressed in." Not because it wasn't cute but he would have her all dolled up in an outfit, matching jacket, socks, and shoes, and she would have a hair bow in her hair. My mom thought there was no reason for all this since the two of them would be at home all day...However, I thought it was the sweetest gesture. At times I couldn't believe he would take the time to make sure she looked cute...for me...when I got home.
Savannah...with Savannah I could tell this nervousness for babies would still creep up but for different reasons. The time he had missed with Ellie (becuase he was in Basic Training) was were he picked up with Savannah when he came home from Korea. When he came home he had to learn how to take care of a baby who didn't want to sit in a bouncer or be held all the time. He was able to watch her grow. He was able to experience many firsts with her. Like her first step, her first tooth, her first babbleing. The things he was not able to see with Ellie.
Abagail was our mystery. We decided not to find out "what" she was when I was pregnant. When she popped out a girl I was sure I would see disappoint in his eyes, but I didn't. He was so excited. And when we were not sure between several different names, he decided she would be Abagail. Abbie is Daddy's little princess. She doesn't wrestle, she doesn't play basketball, and she she won't sit still during movies with daddy, but she has a sparkle in her eye when she sees her dad or she gives him a kiss.
Now Dayton. Daddy can't wait till he phases from a mommy's boy to a daddy's boy. He can't wait to play ninja turtles (those are still in, right?) with him or shoot hoops. This is a whole new experience.
Four kids later and I have to say that this nervousness for children has gone away. The person who said he would never have more than two children adores being a father. He loves being with his kids. And though I may not approve he loves wrestling with his kids. (They love it also!) He loves taking them to the movies for some daddy time. He loves when they come racing to the front door when they hear the key in the lock.
They love when daddy comes home from work. When they hear his key enter the door lock Dayton starts grinning from ear to ear and gets all excited, Abagail yells, "Daddy's home!" Savannah and Ellie run and hide becuase they love to have their Daddy find them. The kids love to have their Dad read to them and tuck them in at night. They love to play basketball with him. They love telling him about their day. But most of all, they look forward to his days off when daddy gives mommy a break and it can just be them and their daddy. They get 100% attention.
So on this day I wanted to thank Aaron for being such a great father and tell him how much I love him.
And I wanted to thank all of you for reading this and letting me share this with you.
The kids would like to tell their Dad how much they love him and are thankful for him.

We love you Daddy. Happy Father's Day!!!

2 comments:

kristensenkid said...

Becky....you are so cute with your husband & kids. I love to read your stories & learn more about your family. Aaron is a cute dad and I think it is funny because Paul dresses Ava to the nines too...even if it is just the two of them at home! We love you guys!

Adam and Michelle Bradbury said...

Aaron, thank you for being such a great father to my nieces and nephews. We're half way across the country and sometimes I'm farther than that but I hope you know that I think of, love, adore and pray for your children always. You're a stand up man and I hope you know that I appreciate you and everything you have done for your little family and my little sister. Happy belated fathers day,

Adam